Wednesday, July 31, 2013

DAY 3: Colfax, CA to Portland, OR.

 Rose for the day at 530am and actually held to leaving early. Coffee, gas, and routine check sent me away. Nor-Cal mornings are clear and a great way to begin a long trek.
 Maybe a little too early, because I left my sunglasses behind and it was freezing. I'd have been out of luck if I didn't have the dorky windshield to save my eyes.
 After some more farm land, out of no where the Sacramento River hit me. First big bridge! The river was way bigger than it looks on an iPhone map. Took a rest at a gas stop up the road at a truck stop. Truck stops are a culture in themselves. Half auto parts store, half convenient store, and half people watching zoo. The hot dogs should be refused by even the most desperate. But I'm not desperate, I'm Dallas. Any amount of mayo, liquid cheese goop, and ketchup will kill any germs in there for sure. The bathrooms are the best though. Upon entering, you think the 4th of July is happing all over again, but then you realize truckers have a remarkable talent for explosively farting in symphonic succession. Mesmerized by what I could not unhear, I did my business and split quicker than my toilet flushed.
 
 Coffee with the Back From Hell MC in Redding. Bikers who used to do drugs but now drink too much coffee have the best things to say.
 

Chipped my helmet after a careless drop. Hey, it happens to the best of us. Some sparkly nail polish and new shades from the 99 cents store made me feel way better about my oafish clumsiness.




 Dude is hauling more logs than the plumbing at that truck stop.
 Wildfire in Medford ain't gonna stop me! Good use of the bandana for about 30 miles, although my eyes weren't enjoying it. Riding thru fire and water in two days if for sure an adventure.

Rest and gas in Eugene. Nearly slept in front of the Shell station.

600 miles and 14 hours later, I beat the sun to Portland! Woohoo!!!!
.....Or not? Rode into a construction zone area to ask some people on bicycles how to get to where I was going. Nothing dangerous, just passed the signs. Not only did they not help me, but the motorcycle cop who quickly scurried over on his Honda didn't give me comfort. He cited them, then began writing me up. What a way to end an all day odyssey. After asking me if I am supposed to be riding past barricades and if I do that in California, I had a smart assed "Are you supposed to ask rhetorical questions?" working its way out, until he responded to my eye roll with a warning. We chatted bikes for a sec, he told me not to do dumb crap, gave me directions, and told me the next time I see a cop to smile and wave. I was on my way after he asked me about my trip and told me to ride safe. I feel weird typing this, but thanks Portland PD! It's always good to have cool cop stories, especially being from Torrance. A nerve-racking way to end a long day.


1 comment:

  1. I'll be in Portland on Saturday, dang it we're just gonna miss eachother. Been stoked to see the pictures and hear the stories so far! Motivating me to bust a trip soon!! Ride safe brotha

    ReplyDelete