Sunday, July 21, 2013

Bike Prep 2

The past 2 weeks have been nothing but preparations for the trip. When I need one thing, I need 10 things to go with that. NEED, not want, big difference. A couple wrenches turn into half a bag of tools, ect Throwing trousers and a tent and a toothbrush into a bungied-down backpack seemed like all you need at first, but as time goes by, you get some sense and wisdom. Camping trips on the light are fine and dandy for a weekend trip, but 30 days is a long time when your roof most of the time is the bright beating sun and the raging Midwest rain. I can talk for hours on the philosophy of a simple life, simple bikes, the value of simplicity using Thoreau quotes, and why big obnoxious baggers are lame and dumb and made for mid life crisis software developers whose wives sleep with the pool boy. But cross country travel is not as simple as start and go. Like a viking warrior puts on chain mail and sharpens his sword before battle, preparation is crucial.
  
During this time of prepping, I have made some new friends, made better friends with just buddies, and had my friends step up and help me out big time. I've even made some enemies.
It's truly not what you know, it's who you know, and you all rock! With that said, here are some big things I had big time help with.

The first big step in preparations was a full service. Yeah, any motivated person with Google and a wrench can change oil and adjust a clutch, but its the person who has done that hundreds of times that can tell you what might be wearing out or what will break down when you're in a Iowa cornfield on a pee stop. Enter Aaron!

Aaron is a master of the wrench(not to mention the Torx bit). Conveniently located in Redondo Beach, this MMI grad with years of experience in an evil corporate orange and black shop is in the process of starting his own. Rear brake pads, clutch adjustment, front tire, and a battery were things I would have not done that he did. He went through everything and changed all the fluids for a decent price. He even cleaned the bugs and dust and blood and puke off when I picked it up! Shoot him an email if you need something checked out or your bike serviced!

Aaron The Mechanic(best full name ever)- blane800@gmail.com

Sometimes you don't need just knowledge to fulfill a task. You flat out need the right freakin' tools. In the case of my sissy bar/skateboard rack, you need a welder and a torch. 
OK, so not an OSHA (or even DMV) approved method of transport, but it got the job done. I only clothes-lined 3 children. 




An old gift of wide glide fork parts paid off when I called up my welder buddy at his shop. After an hour and for the price of a few beers, my bar was bent and welded up and ready to go!

After I got my girl home and basked in the awesomeness of having the most badass Softail in the South Bay, I realized that my license plate bracket didn't feel the same. Thankfully I was on a roll with having welder friends and extra beer and anti-OSHA ideas, so back to the welder it was. Thanks Devin!
 Proud of my suburb welding job that I conveniently do not have a picture for nor will ever, I had to show it off to the motorcycle gods. In this case, it was Doug. 

When Del Amo Motorsports has a problem they cannot figure out, or Yoshi from Garage Company wants to go on a little ride, Doug's phone rings. Seriously. The man is a walking encyclopedia of motorcycle knowledge, as well as the owner of a couple of the cleanest vintage Honda's and a Norton this side of Silverlake. After he frowned upon my welding job and my whole life, he explained to me why I should get a KTM as he gave me tips of what to bring and not bring on my ride, as well as what to do and not do. He also graced me with an extra chunk of sheepskin-ish material. Thanks Doug!

And one of the biggest shout outs goes to Allen from Ladyhump! He's been spamming his blog viewers with my blog for the past couple weeks, and I can't thank him enough. Check his blog out!

 Time to put all this awesome stuff together! But not before a swap meet trip. The Alpine Village always has vendors that sell whatever they have. Sometimes you get lucky and find a rad deal on camping equipment or a rare motorcycle part, or sometimes you walk around directionless and wonder if people are cussing at you in Spanish. And this past weekend, I scored big time! Enough about my love life, I bought a neat item at the swap meet!
Can't beat luck and a 12 dollar seat that's better on your back than your original one. After putting the seat on along with my nasty front fender and even nastier windshield, swamp butt and the rain are not going to stop me from blasting across the wide open. Until I return home. Then the fender and windshield and seat are coming off faster than honeymoon underpants. 6 days!








 




2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this. It answered lots of questions which I had.
    Dallas Roofers

    ReplyDelete