Monday, July 29, 2013

DAY 1: Los Angeles, CA to Yosemite, CA

THE DAY HAS COME!

I set at my alarm at 5am, ready to tackle my adventure with tenacity. After flopping out of bed at 630am, already a half hour later than when my best pal David was going to show up to send me off, I shot him a call and woke him up. Sleep is nice in a comfortable familiar bed, not something I'm going to see for a bit. Took a lazy shower, put on clean Levi's, and strapped stuff down. Previous practice made this step go quick. Dave and I met up for a quick coffee by the freeway, but not before chatting with a guy who pulled up on a clean Yamaha cruiser. Well, not really chatting, he just wanted to talk about his bike and his 200 dollar half helmet with clip on face mask. "I love the shaft!," he exclaimed, pointing to his drive train. I'm sure you do pal. After holding back hundreds of mostly homophobic replies, I awkwardly signaled to Dave that we needed to go, and before that dude could mutter "I" one more freaking time, we split. 110 North!
 
 Really weird, once we jumped on the 405, it rained for about two miles. Thanks for the farewell, LA. Foreshadowing maybe? Naaah! I'm hitting California desert, baby! Dave and I exited the freeway in Mulholland Pass traffic for some last minute crap talking and bro hugging. Detoured from a bad turn, and back on the road I went. Respect the selfie.

 Flash flood warning in a Mojave July? Lay off the pipe bro.
Rang the rain off my rubies in Lone Pine over some griping and beer. Note to self: if you see rain next to the highway, it's probably raining on the highway too, so throw the rain gear on. Otherwise, everything from your knees down will look like you made peeing yourself a new sport, without the excitement that could entail. Powered on to Yosemite.
If you see a metal water bottle on the 395 past Bishop, tell her her heart is as cold as steel and I didn't want her anyway.
 
Yosemite is hands down one of the most beautiful rides ever. It really set the bar high for the next 29 days. 
 




 If you look closely, you can see two Half Domes; one is covered in leather.

Coincidently, during a gas stop after I left, I saw on the almighty Facebook that some friends were leaving to Yosemite for a river clean up project. A few excited texts later and I now had a clue where I might be camping. Spontaneity has a way of planning itself. Little did I know how lucky I was, until they blessed me with an extra cot and a continental breakfast. Shove it, Holiday Inn.
Before tequila, I swear.
 Woke up to this. Epic first day! How can the rest of my adventure be any better? Oh, you just tuck that belly back in your britches and tune in soon, I'll post how.

2 comments:

  1. Nice! I've climbed some of those big walls. Amazing first day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks man!!! this whole adventure has veen amazing so far!!

    ReplyDelete