Wednesday, July 31, 2013

DAY 2: Yosemite, CA to Colfax, CA

Falling asleep to a smear of Milky Way stars with large pines pointing upwards in their direction does wonders on the mind. The extra cot one of my new friends loaned me, however, did not do wonders on my back and it woke me up just before dawn. I took advantage of my misfortune and walked the sandy shore of the river in Yosemite Valley for a ways. I was torn between exploring the banks of the river and staring in awe at the gigantic rock faces reflecting new sun rays between El Capitan and Half Dome. No picture explains, you just gotta go if you've never been.
 

Originally I wanted to leave the valley pretty early, packed and ready to go at 6am. Once others in the group started to rise and make breakfast and chat, the prospect of oatmeal, coffee, sausage, eggs, and good conversation swiftly diverted those plans and reminded me to slow my mind. down. It's my vacation, damnit, why do I need to rush? A full stomach and a clean oil and tire inspection made me feel ready to leave at 10am, but not without hugs and farewells from just about 40 people. I may be by myself on this trip, but cool people kick ass and make me feel not lonely.
 The ride out of Yosemite was not nearly as cool as the ride in, but going downhill for 2 miles with an idling engine in neutral, some twists and curves, and a cool breeze was relaxing. 5 dollars a gallon for gas at the bottom was not.
 The San Joaquin Valley definitely isn't known for its lush topography. Located between two important parts of California, its empty, warm, and sweaty. For this reason, I call the 5 freeway "The Taint Trail." The scenery was about as stale as a gas station ham and cheese, and the heat quickly broke through my jacket to make it not so pleasant.
 I love garlic.
  



 Did almost 300 miles to Colfax, about 45 miles north-east of Sacramento. A quick call to an old friend from Grass Valley earlier in the day linked me back up with Brent a few hours later. Grabbed a $3.50 dinner from a grocery mart and waited until he was off work only to get slaughtered at a game of pool in a little old saloon.

 This pot shop ad for sure made me feel better about losing at pool. Or worse, depending how you look at it.

 
 Thanks Brent for the pull out bed and pizza! Rose at 530am and charged the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment